Monday, September 14, 2009

Benjamin Knox Finch

Everyone... I would like you to meet Benjamin Knox Finch. Knox, everyone.

Knox is our second child born on August 25, 2009 at 9:35 pm weighing a whopping 8.1 lbs at 20.5 inches. We are loving our new little guy & I think he is adjusting into the family quite well. I have been asked dozens of times about the name 'Knox' & why we chose it. When we started thinking about boy names, Joy mentioned she really wanted to use the name Benjamin. Sounds good, I am partial to the name! But we couldn't settle on a middle name. As I thought about it further I considered naming him after someone from the Reformation... guys like Martin Luther, John Calvin, etc. who have had a profound impact upon my life. Then, I thought about the life of John Knox who was heavily influenced by Calvin & later formed the Presbyterian Church in Scotland. Then, I considered that it means "of the hills" & it seemed fitting since we attend church & closely associated with Knoxville, TN. On top of that, I think it just sounds cool. There you have it!

Let me tell you a few things we know about Knox (although all but #5 is subject to change in a week):
  1. Knox doesn't waste much time. Where Brennan took around 20 minutes to nurse, Knox is in & out in 5 minutes max.
  2. Knox can sleep no matter what/when/where. Regardless if the dog is barking (quite often), Brennan is yelling (quite often), doorbells are ringing (quite often), people are talking (quite often), it doesn't matter much to Knox... he is going to sleep in spite of circumstances.
  3. Knox is the loudest sleeper I have ever heard... as a baby of course. He sleeps great but man is he loud. He grunts, groans, yells, laughs, etc. all night long. I think it is his way of paying us back for having to sleep under loud conditions during the daytime.
  4. Knox smiles often & seems very content.
  5. Knox has a tremendous amount of people in his life who love, support, & pray for him daily. We will teach him to not take this for granted & to thank God for such grace.


1 comment:

kay simmons said...

So precious! I'd love to have photos of our kids in the first
"basket pose". I'm sensing your hesitation...but, I have all confidence in your skills!