Thursday, September 10, 2009

THE Chair: One Man's Crusade to Own the World's Coolest Chair... EVER!

Warning: You are about to view one of the world's coolest chairs; you may experience feelings of envy!

So...here's the shake down. Several weeks ago I was out on a leisurely drive through the hills of the Cherokee National Forest accompanied only by my camera. I wasn't having much luck with the photography... for example, my favorite image from the day was of a lawn-mower racing sign that I found hilarious (you read it right... lawn-mower racing! Can you imagine going 65 mph on a lawn-mower? I mean, I have a need for speed, but not on a lawn-mower... I digressed, sorry!).

So I did what any good, inconvenienced citizen would do, I gave up!

I then parked my car & went into an antique store. When all else fails to inspire you... visit a place that has lots of rare vintage items; always works for me. As I strolled through the store, I happened to notice a colorful & magnificent chair in the corner. I did a double-take & thought to myself, "Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is that the coolest chair I've ever seen?" Immediately, I felt an urge to own it yet there was a piece of paper taped to the chair, "Layaway." I thought, "Are you kidding me? How expensive is this bad-boy that someone would have to put it in layaway?" I next plotted the quickest route to the cash register & asked the lady how much "that awesome chair" in the back cost.

She asked, "The really cool retro green one that is on layaway? We've had so many people ask about that chair. It wasn't in here a day or two before the lady put it in layaway."

"Yes, that's the chair I'm talking about" I responded but thinking to myself, "thanks for rubbing it in!"

Then she told me how much it cost. I had two thoughts: 1. Why in the world would somebody put a chair on layaway for the same price it costs to eat at Applebees? 2. I have to find a way to get that chair despite that it is on layaway.

So... I quickly asked her if she would consider selling it to someone who has cash. But she said no. "Are you sure, I have a twenty in my wallet?" (What can I say... I'm a baller!). Again, no.

I left the antique store bummed. "Shucks!"

Fast-forward several weeks. This past Monday (Labor Day), I took the family back to that same area for lunch & to stroll through the shops. After lunch we went back into the same store. I had already warned Joy that I was bitter & that it may not be a good idea... but we went anyways. As we turned the corner in the store to where the chair was previously, I was shocked. "Joy, there it is! That's the chair I was telling you about."

"Ben, that is the ugliest chair I have ever seen." Joy responded inappropriately.

"Joy, you are just blinded by its awesomeness; that chair rocks!" I rebutted. "Geeze, it still has the layaway sticker on it. I can't believe it, I am talking to whoever is in charge."

I moved forward to the front of the shop & said to the lady, "Wow, that chair is still on layaway. What are my chances of buying it?"

"Sir, I can't sell the chair but I'd be glad to put your name down in case the lady doesn't want it anymore."

As I was about to write down my contact info another lady (owner of the store) walked in & the woman behind the counter told her that I wanted to buy the chair. She simply said, "Sell it to him. The lady has had the chair on layaway for over 2 months, she should've picked it up by now."

"YES! That's exactly what I was thinking!" I said.

Joy responded, "Buy the chair but it isn't going in our house."

"That's okay, me & my chair will do just fine at the studio," I gleefully said.

Needless to say... I got the chair!!! It is lookin' good in the studio. Check it out for yourself but be sure to click on the picture to see a larger version of the world's coolest chair.


So what do you think? Is this not the funnest retro vinyl dining chair you've ever seen? Instant classic I tell you.

So here's the question: Is it the ugliest chair you've ever seen or is it a rare jewel of a chair that immediately makes you smile & say, "that is one cool chair?"

P.S. I am officially sorry to the lady who learned a hard lesson in layaway & procrastination (Hopefully she is not reading this entry, that would be awkward).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben, I have to back you up on the chair. I've gotten into the idea of using things like that as props for photo shoots. That could be really cool in a downtown, grungy city scene or even in the woods or in a field. I'm just saying...

Casey Gann :)

joy said...

Okay..the cool yellow border and the beautiful curtains in the background help A TON! Just imagine it in a trailer in the late 70's~with a guy drinking a 6 pack..thats what I saw when i looked at it..

Maigan said...

Seriously awesome chair. I promise you, the other siblings of that dining set are for sale in a Nashville retro store for $100 each. Great deal! :)

Unknown said...

Brazilian colors! Go Brazil!

Suzanne said...

I really like the legs on the chair. Very Feminine..oh wait, you aren't a female.

LadyNextDoor said...

Never saw that color combination on that type of kitchen chair...but I sure do remember those kind of vintage chairs from the 50's.....and I'm sure it looks far better in your office than in your home!

a.nation said...

Ben, I def. feel that we should use this chair at my mat. photo shoot! So cool!!!

JimB said...

We have the other three, and the matching table.